Friday, June 30, 2017

A Week Of Veggie Side Dishes: Potato Salad

Everyone has there favorite potato salad recipe or how to fix potato salad. I know my family and I do. We don't like hot potato salad. We don't like it all mashed and pasty. We don't like it with sweet pickle. We like it with more yellow mustard in it. We have found we like it with some bacon thrown in. 

Here is what you will need: 

  • 2 to 3 medium size potatoes in their skins boiled until a knife slides through them with ease.
  • 2 hard boiled eggs
  • a 1/4 of an onion, minced (or as much as you want to.)
  • 1/2 of a bell pepper, chopped into small pieces  (or as much as you want. I use all colors of bell peppers.)
  • dill pickles, chopped into small pieces
  • bacon bits
  • your favorite herbs and spices
  • yellow mustard (French's)
  • mayo (preferably Duke's)

Once the eggs and potatoes are boiled, allow them to cool to room temp. Peel the skin off of the potatoes and peel the eggs. 
In a large bowl, add the potatoes and eggs chopped into bite size pieces.
Chop up the onion, the bell pepper, and dill pickles and add them to the bowl.


Once everything is chopped up, it is time to add the mayo, mustard, herbs, and spices. All of this will depend on your and your family's taste. Like I said earlier, we like more mustard in it than mayo. The herbs and spices I use are Lawry's seasoning salt, garlic salt, black pepper, onion powder, parsley flakes, and bacon bits. The best way to do this is to add small amounts at a time, until you get the taste you want. When I have it where I want it, I put it in another bowl and place in frig until I am ready to serve it. The longer it has a chance to set and let the flavors meld the better it is. 
Potato salad is good with any kind of meat. It is also a cold refreshing dish that is perfect for any summertime cookout or barbecue. It is one of those simply yummy veggie side dishes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment