Monday, July 3, 2017

My DIY Coral Project

Ever since I decided to decorate our master bath with a ocean/sea theme, I have been looking for coral decorations to use. I found some at Hobby Lobby, but I wasn't going to pay $20.00 for one. Also, I could never find it on sale or in a color that would go well with my bathroom colors. I also looked at other stores, but to no avail. So while I was perusing Pinterest one day, I came across a DYI pin for making you own coral decorations using spray paint and a piece of coral bought from Walmart's aquarium section. I thought this was doable and I knew I was getting some money for Christmas so I could make my own. 

I ended up buying mine at Pet Smart. I just couldn't seem to find what I wanted at Walmart. I paid a little more than I would have at Walmart, but that is okay. I bought 4 pieces; 2 of these pieces and 2 of pieces similar to this one. (I can't find the actual ones I bought.) I then bought 3 cans of spray paint all in satin; Ivory Silk, Green Apple, and Eden at Walmart. I want to create an ombre effect. 

I started out with the Ivory Silk. I had to spray on several coats to cover the bright yellow/orange and bright pink. However, I didn't mind if small sections of those colors still shined through. 


The next step was to spray on the lightest green which was green apple. I started at the bottom and went about 3/4's of the way up on the pieces. 


Next came the darker green ~ Eden. I started at the bottom and sprayed about 1/2 way up. 

 
Pleased with the final product, I moved them to their home on the edge of our tub. I paired them with 2 white seahorses I found on sell at Hobby Lobby and candles I already had from Walmart.



I know I spent a little more than I wanted and only saved a little money, but I did get the sizes I wanted and was able to tailor the colors to our bathroom. I would call that a win! Besides DIY coral decorations is simply a good thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment