Friday, June 2, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend 2017 Recap

Our Memorial Day Weekend was a laid back kinda of an affair. While most everyone else was out and about fighting the crowds and sitting in traffic, we spent our weekend at home ~ eating good food, going to a family gathering, going to a movie, out to eat, and lots of work accomplished outside. The perfect weekend for us. 

DH worked till 11:00 am on Friday, then spent the afternoon running errands. DD had to work til 1:30 pm, then spent the afternoon catching up on some chores. I took DD to work and DH picked her up. When I got home from dropping her off at work, I straightened up the house, then headed outside to work in my flower beds. I worked outside til 4:00, then came and got cleaned up. I spent the rest of the afternoon working on supper and on table decorations. I told DH I wanted to eat outside since it was so nice and I went all out. I am trying to put one of the words I choose at the beginning of the year in to practice by doing special things for my family. 

The table decoration turned out great. Most everything I used I had on hand or made. I did spend $1.00 to buy red paper napkins. We didn't get to eat on the deck where we originally decided to set up the table. When it came time to eat, it had too much sun shining on it, so we moved everything to the fire pit patio. We had a nice supper, enjoyed being outside, and spending time together. After supper and cleaning up, we settled in the bed with Miss Oakley to watch "Logan."

The centerpiece is made up a cake stand I got from my maternal grandmother. I added 3 painted pots from DD's college graduation that held utensils. I put in some napkins and then added table toppers I got from Party City. The ruffle underneath the cake stand was made by me out of paper napkins. It wasn't perfect but it did its job for the night.

The centerpiece.

I took a blue and a white paper napkin and tucked them inside the red napkins, then folded them into a diamond shape fold. You can find the instructions here.

We moved the table into the shade and enjoyed our view.

This was our supper; grilled New York Strips, twice-baked potatoes, and oven roasted asparagus. I nailed the asparagus this time. I just need to remember what I did.

Saturday morning, we were all up early and got busy on chores. DH had a few things to do at his parents. DD started on her Saturday chores. I did my morning routine and headed outside as soon as I could. DH was home by lunch and afterwards he started mowing. I went back out and worked until my grass allergy ran me in. Later that evening, we headed over to DH's parent's house for our nephew-in-law's birthday dinner. We had good food, great conversations, and kept entertained by our youngest nephew and great- nephews. The most exciting part of the night was when the boys found a turtle. 

Sunday morning was a lazy morning. We fixed BTL sandwiches for breakfast and fresh strawberries. Afterwards, we got ready to go movies. We went to see "Guardians Of The Galaxy, VOL. 2" and it did NOT disappoint. We LOVED it. I want a baby Groot for my very own.  We headed back home for a while to put Oakley out and fix her something to eat, then we went back out to eat supper. We decided to go to one of our favorite grilles instead of driving back across town to eat a restaurant we had gift cards for. back home we settled down in the bed with Miss Oakley to watch The Cocoa Cola 600. 

The BLTs were as good as the ingredients look.

Of course, you can't make a sandwich without Duke's mayo on it.
Monday morning, DH headed back over to his parents to finish something. DD didn't have to work and kept herself occupied. I got busy cleaning my kitchen, which needed it desperately. DH was home before lunch. He worked on a few odds and ends. After lunch, he stayed in and relaxed the rest of the day. When I finished up the kitchen, I joined him. We closed out the day watching tv with Miss Oakley. 

It was the perfect type of holiday weekend for us, filled with food, family, and fun with a little work thrown in! It was simply perfect!

*******************************

The only thing that we didn't get to do this weekend that we wanted to was taking a ride up in the mountains, but there is always this weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment