Tuesday, June 27, 2017

A Week Of Veggie Side Dishes: Cole Slaw

We eat a lot of cole slaw around our house. Cole slaw made with just cabbage, no carrots. Slaw that is a little sweet, with a hint of tartness. The biggest no-no of slaw making is that you NEVER, EVER use Miracle Whip. You use mayo, preferably Duke's mayo ~ the best mayo in the South. I have received a lot of compliments on my cole slaw, so here is how I make it.

What you will need: 
  • a half of head of cabbage, grated into a bowl
  • a pinch of salt
  • black pepper
  • sugar
  • white vinegar (you can use apple cider vinegar if you want more tartness or are out of white)
  • mayo ~ Duke's: NO MIRACLE WHIP
 
When the cabbage is grated, I add a pinch of salt to help draw out the moisture in the cabbage and to give it that little extra flavor. 
 
Next few ingredients you will need to add to your family's taste. I add the black pepper, the sugar, the white vinegar, and the mayo. I stir everything together, then taste it. I add what I think is needed, stir again, and then taste. It is that easy. 
 
I make it on the sweet side. My momma makes it more on the tart side. DH likes plenty of black pepper in it, but I can't take that much, so we meet in the middle. Tasting it as you make it is the best way to gage what it needs next. 
 
We eat this cole slaw with lima beans or green beans and pickles, or just with pickles. We put it on cheeseburgers, hot dogs, and barbecue sandwiches. It is good served with pork roast, pork chops, steaks, or roast. It is just one of those handy dishes to know how to fix, because it goes with most anything. It is simply a yummy thing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment