Thursday, June 29, 2017

A Week Of Veggie Side Dishes: Sauteed Mushrooms

I love sauteed mushroom, but it is hard to find a recipe that does finish them off with a splash of wine. I do not like wine, nor do I like the taste of it in any dish. It took me a ling time to find a recipe that left out the wine, but I did and it is a good. Of course with most recipes, I tailored it to our family's taste. 

Here is what you will need:
  • a small shallot, minced (optional)
  • 1 - 8oz. package of button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
  • 1 - 8 oz. package of baby portebello mushrooms, stemmed and sliced ( or buy the already sliced ones)
  • 1 Tbsp of olive oil, (or you could butter, I have used both)
  • garlic salt, to taste
  • black pepper, to taste
Over medium to high heat, add a Tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan or skillet. When oil is heated and shimmering, saute the shallot until tender, then add all of the mushrooms. (If you don't want touse the shallot, just add the mushrooms when the oil is heated.) Stir occasionally until they are browned. Add garlic salt and black pepper. Stir to incorporate the flavors, then they are ready to serve.

I like serving them with beef, especially grilled steak. Don't they look yummy! The best part NO wine!
 
 
A word of caution, wait to add the salt until the very end.  If you add it too early, the mushrooms will release moisture which will steam the mushrooms instead of browning them.  
 
Give this simple, yummy dish a try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment