Monday, August 22, 2016

An Easy Way to Clean A Ceiling Fan

As I was preparing a post on how to repurpose old bed linens, I came across a tip about using an old pillowcase to clean a ceiling fan. It was an idea I hadn't thought of. When I began my month of deep cleaning and knowing I would have 3 ceiling fans, I thought of this tip and decided to try. 

Cleaning ceiling fans isn't easy to do and its messy. I have to climb on chairs to clean them and in the living room I have to use a ladder. In order to dust the blades, you have to hold your arms over your head which puts a strain on you neck and shoulder muscles. As you dust; clumps of dust fall in your face, in your hair, on your clothes, and on the floor. Cleaning these fans in one of my least favorite jobs, but I don't like to see layers of dust on the blades so I suffer through. However, this year I used the tip I found on using an old pillowcase to clean the fan blades and it made the job so much easier. 

Here is how I went about it. I got an old pillowcase and turned it inside out. I sprayed Pledge on both sides and then turned right side out again. 

All you need to clean a ceiling fan real easy is an old pillowcase and some furniture cleaner.

I climbed up on a chair and placed the pillowcase over a fan blade. With one hand on the top of the blade and on the bottom, I applied pressure and dusted both sides at one time. The best part is that all the clumps of dust fell into the pillowcase and not on me. When I had finished, the ceiling fan was clean and so was I.  

Place the pillowcase over the blades of the fan. With hands on both sides  applying pressure, slide the pillow case of the end. All of the clumps of dust will into the pillowcase and not on you.

Cleaning ceiling fans with an old pillowcase is simply a good thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment