Friday, May 6, 2016

A Week Of Fruity Desserts: Remembrance Strawberry Pie

The best way to describe Remembrance Strawberry Pie is to say it is like the classic Shoney's Strawberry Pie. I found this recipe in a small paperback book called "The Country Cooking Recipe Collection: Prize-Winning Pies." It is relatively easy to make and is refreshing treat for a hot, humid day.

There are a few tricks I have learned about making this pie along the way. I still haven't perfected it, because I can't get it to set up completely, but I am on my way to figuring it out. When I have mastered it, I will let you know the trick. However, here are a few things I do know. Make sure your fresh strawberries are a dry as possible. When it comes time to place the pie in the frig to set, DO NOT put anything over the top of it. Condensation will build up and make it very runny. Let it set in the frig overnight so it can have plenty of time to set. Mine still turns out a little runny, even when I do all of that, but I will figure it out.  Here's the recipe: 

Remembrance Strawberry Pie
  • 2 pints of strawberries halved (I cut mine into slices and drain them to get rid of any excess liquids.)
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 3 Tbsp of cornstarch
  • 1 cup of water
  • 3 Tbsp of strawberry flavored gelatin mix (I use Jello.)
  • 1 baked pie crust
  • homemade whipped cream top it with (optional)

Cap and wash 2 pints of fresh strawberries. Let them drain for a little bit.

Cut the strawberries in half or into slices. Let the drain for a while them place in a large bowl. 


In a medium sauce pan or pot; combine the sugar and the cornstarch.

Add the cup of water and stir. Cook over a medium heat until the mixture thickens.

When it has thickened, remove from heat and stir in gelatin until it is dissolved.

Pour over strawberries and mix well.

Pour the strawberries mixture  into a baked pie crust. Place in frig until it is set. Letting it set overnight uncovered would be the best thing to do.

When it is set, cut into slices and serve.

If you like strawberries, I know you will like this pie. It has a LOT of strawberry taste to it. Besides all that , making this pie is also a delicious way to use up all those fresh strawberries. 

Remembrance Strawberry Pie is just simply one of those simply perfect things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment