Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Decorating Using Everyday Items

When it comes to decorating our house, I keep in mind what we like and how we live. I want our house to reflect us and our lifestyle. We live in our home and I need to make sure things are decorated in a way that is convenient for us. One way I do this is decorating with everyday items. Now, what does that mean? It simple means that the items we use everyday or almost everyday are within in easy reach and arranged in a way that is easy on the eye. 

For example, at one end of our kitchen counter are stacks of pot holders and trivets. Over the years, I have been given pretty pot holders decorated with apples and beautiful trivets made out of various materials. In the past when I needed one, I would have to dig through a drawer or look in a cabinet. It wasn't easy or convenient to use them. So I decided to put them out on the counter tops within easy reach. Not only make the corner of the counter prettier, I always had what I needed to sit a hot post or dish close by.

Here are some other examples: 

  • Attractive Bowls: Use those pretty glass or ceramic bowls in the kitchen by sitting them out on tables or counter tops. Fill them with fruit or candy. 
  • Attractive Dishes or Platters: Use them to sit tomatoes on. 
  • Attractive Containers: Use pretty containers to store cookies, bars, or other desserts in, then place them out on your counter tops. 
  • Throw Blankets: Thrown over the back of a chair or a sofa, they can provide a splash of color and comfort. It also gives a person easy access to them. 
  • Kitchen Utensil Holder: Find an attractive container to place kitchen utensils in and place it beside your stove top. 
  • Attractive Pencil Holders: Use pretty pencil holders on top of our desk to store writing utensils and to put them within easy reach. Or place several of the pencil holders in an attractive box, crate, or basket. 
  • Attractive Paper Holder: Find a cute basket or box to store Post-It notes or other small note pads in and place on top of a desk. 
 
These are just a few of the everyday items I use to decorate with. There are so many more possibilities out there. If you think of something that I haven't, leave me a comment and let me know. I am always open to new ideas. 
 
Living a simple life and loving every minute of it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment