Tuesday, April 25, 2017

My Cookbooks: The Joy Of Cooking

If you are looking for an all purpose cookbook or a cookbook for a new bride, I highly recommend "The Joy Of Cooking." It is crammed full of valuable information and tons of recipes. First published in 1931, "The Joy Of Cooking" has been updated several times to reflect the current cooking knowledge. 


While I haven't used many of the recipes, this is my go to cookbook if I have a question on how to prepare something or how to cook/bake something. It has a whole section called ~ Know Your Ingredients. Here you can find 5 1/2 pages of equivalents and substitutions for common ingredients which is VERY helpful. This section also has measurement equivalents and conversion charts. You will also find tips on how to grow, harvest, dry, freeze, and use herbs, as well as how to use spices. Other chapters include; "The Foods We Eat", "Entertaining", and "Menus." 

As for recipes, you will find everything from drinks, to game, to pies, to cakes, to pickles, and relishes. I have a lot of recipes marked in here to try and even found a new favorite of ours homemade potato chips. There is a cheese blintzes recipe I want to try but I haven't worked up enough courage to try making crepes, yet. 

Not only is the cookbook a great tool to have on hand, there is also a "Joy Of Cooking" website that corresponds with the cookbook. Just don't expect to find all the recipes from the book on the site, however, you will find some new recipes thrown into the mix. It also has a ingredient and technique page you will find helpful. The site also gives a history of how the cookbook came to be and the history of it over the decades. It is one of those sites, you will want to bookmark for future reference.

"The Joy Of Cooking" has become a staple in my cookbook collection and in my cooking/baking efforts. I highly recommend it and think it is simply a good thing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment