Monday, November 7, 2016

A Paperless Household

Our household is a paperless household. What does that mean? We use no paper products. No paper towels, paper napkins, paper plates, cleaning wipes, dust wipes, Kleenexs. None, nada! Well, we did draw the line when it came to toilet paper. We couldn't find a steady supply of corn cobs or knew off anyone that saved old Sears & Roebuck catalogs. LOL! 

So, how do we cope without any paper products? Remarkably well. It was easy to transition over and required a little money to get us started, but we phased it in gradually. Plus, it saved us a lot of money on groceries that we could use on stocking up on items. 

Paper towels were replaced with dish cloths and dish towels. I brought a stack of cheap dish cloths and dish towels to use to drain bacon on or other greasy items on. To clean up messes, I keep a ready supply of cleaning rags on hand for quick clean up. 

I slowly replaced paper napkins with cloth napkins. I was very hesitant about this one. I was afraid if I didn't wash the cloth napkins everyday, they would get all gross and grow stuff, but that hasn't happened. I wash them and change them about twice a week.

Paper plates, cleaning wipes, and dust wipes were very easy to replace. We use real plates and wash them. Cleaning wipes and dust wipes were easily replaced by using cleaners and cleaning rags. 

Kleenexes have been replaced with toilet paper. I don't know about any of you, but with all lotions and scents they use on Kleenexes now, I get stuffier using Kleenexes. Plus, they irritate my nose and are paper thin. When my allergies are bothering me, I need something super duty. Toilet paper works much better for me and our family. 

Transitioning our house to a paperless house has been a simply good thing for our home and our family. It took a while to get where we wanted to be and we are now reaping the rewards of the money saved by not buying these products. Also, we aren't filling up the landfill with these items and helping to reduce the number of trees being cut down. Or, we like to think we are.

Think of ways you could reduce the use of paper products in your house today. Make a plan for transitioning and reap the benefits. It is simply a green thing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment