Monday, February 8, 2016

A Week Of Candy: Butter Mints

Since it is the week leading up to Valentine's Day, I thought I would share some of my family's favorite recipes. So instead of buying candy for your love ones, you could try making them candy made by you with love. Some are fairly simply. Others require a little more work, but I think you will like all of them. 

Today's recipe is Butter Mints. They are easy to make and easy to shape. Using food coloring you can make them any color you want. You can roll them into little balls then flatten them with your thumb to make a disk or you could just leave them as little balls. You can also roll the candy dough out and cut the mints into desired shapes by using small cookie cutters. When I made these for my family for Valentine's Day, I used red to make a third of the dough - red, a third - pink, and left the rest white. I used heart cookie cutters of different sizes for the shapes. 

Butter Mints
  • 1/3 cup of butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup of light corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. of salt
  • 1 tsp. of peppermint flavoring 
  • 4 to 4 1/2 cups powder sugar, sifted
In a large bowl, mix together the butter, corn syrup, salt, and peppermint flavoring. Add sugar cup by cup until you have added 4 cups and mix until blended smooth. If dough is still damp feeling, add a 1/2 cup of sugar until it feels dry but not cracking. Shape and color as desired. Store in the frig or a cool place. 
 
These mints taste just like the little butter mints you buy in the stores that are popular to serve a baby/wedding showers or receptions. Give them a try. I think your family will like them and so will you. 
 
Living life simply and simply living!    

No comments:

Post a Comment