Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Healthy: A Word To Live By In 2017

Healthy is an important word for me. I inherited high blood pressure from my daddy's side of the family and have had it since I was 21. I have to take two medicines and keep an eye on it. I am also borderline diabetic. Although by today's standards I am not extremely overweight, I still have several, several pounds to lose. While I have lost quite a bit of weight my doctor assures me if I lose more, the diabetic threat will lessen. I also don't want to end up like my paternal grandmother, extremely overweight and unable to move around much. That is not how I want to spend my golden years. So for my health and so I can enjoy the life I have left, I want to get healthy and healthier. 

We have already taken several steps in improving our diet to healthier options, but we need to go further. For one, I need to reduce the amount of Cheerwine I drink and drink more water. I need to look closer at labels and reduce our amount of chemical intake even further. I need to continue to look for healthier alternatives to those prepackaged sugary and salty treats. That means buying more fruits, nuts, and seeds. It is a process and a journey, but it is worth it.

I also need to exercise more. I need to reduce the amount of time I sit on my rear and move every opportunity I get. I need to walk the dogs and walk with DH every chance we get, even if it is too cold, too hot, or too windy. Besides walking with DH as soon as he gets home is a great way for DH and I to reconnect and catch each other up on our day.

One thing I need to add to what we are already doing is to learn to take a little time for myself. I need to let go of my OCD tendencies and realize my house doesn't need to be spotless. I need let DD and DH do more things even if they don't do it the way I want to. I need to learn to take a few minutes to myself, take more time for prayer and meditation, time so I can destress and decompress.  I truly believe a healthy, peaceful soul and mind is the key to a healthier body. 

Part of taking care of myself, especially since I am getting older, is to take better care of my skin. I need to see those few minutes a day it takes to apply a little moisturizer and lip balm for what it is - a few minutes. A few minutes out of my day to do something for myself is NOT a waste of time.  

In the Bible, we are told that our bodies become a temple when we accept Jesus as our Saviour, because the Holy Spirit dwells within. We are admonish to take care of our temple not only physically, but mentally and spiritually. There are also other scriptures that give us great advice for our mind, body, and soul. 

These are the verses I have choose to focus on this year as I strive to become healthy/healthier:

1st Corinthians 6: 19-20 

"...do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s."

1st Corinthians 10: 31
"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

Proverbs 17: 22
"A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones."

Proverbs 3: 7 - 8
"Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil.  It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones."

I have no promises to myself or resolved to become healthier. It is something I want to and willing to work for. Here is to a healthier version of me! 

Simply looking forward to what this new year has in store for me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment