Monday, July 25, 2016

A Week Of Cake Recipes: White Cake

All week I am going to share my favorite go-to cake recipes. These are the recipes I use when I want to make cake for a celebration or for a simple dessert. All of them are fairly easy to make and all of them are delicious. 

The first I am sharing is a simple white cake. This cake is a dense cake more bread like in consistence. It isn't overly sweet, which makes it a great cake to pair with a sweet icing. The recipe doesn't make a big cake. It will make a big one layer 9" round cake, but isn't suitable to try to make it into two layers. It also will make a good size cake in a smaller rectangular pan like an 8" X 11" pan. This recipe will make somewhere between 15 and 18 cupcakes. I really am not sure of the amount, because it depends on how much batter I eat. (Yes, I eat raw batter and haven't got sick in all my 40 some years.)You can make it a yellow cake by adding the egg yolks to the mixture.

White Cake
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 1 cup of sugar 
  • 3 egg whites 
  • 2 cups of flour (I use half white and half whole wheat.)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. of salt
  • 3/4 to 1 cup of milk (I usually pour milk between the two measurements, so really about 7/8 cup of milk.)
  • 1 tsp. of vanilla extract 
Preheat oven the 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar together. Add unbeaten egg whites and beat well. 

In another bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk together. 

Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture a little at a time alternating with the milk, mixing as you go.

When the dry ingredients and the milk have been added, add the vanilla. Continue mixing until well blended. 

Pour batter into a greased and floured pan. bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out the cake and continue cooling it on the cooling rack. 

This cake will not disappoint. It is just one of those tried and true recipes that are simply a must have for a home cooks recipe collection. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out! 

Living a simply great life and thankful for every second of it! 

************************

A side note: There is something weird about this recipe when it comes to the amount of milk it needs. Sometimes, it needs more than the 3/4 cup milk the recipe calls for. I can tell by the consistency of the batter. However, I have found that the 7/8 cup of milk works the best so I use that measurement the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment