Monday, October 3, 2016

A Week Of Breakfast Breads: Pancakes

This week I am sharing some of my family's favorite breakfast breads recipes. All of these breads would make a great accompaniment to any breakfast or as the star of the meal served with fruit. A few can be prepared the night before. Some can be divided up and frozen for future meals. Others are best served warm right out of the oven. All of them are unique. 

DH loves pancakes. I am not a big fan of them, but I can eat them if they are sweet enough and I have strawberry syrup to pour over them. The recipe I use comes from my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer owner's manual/cookbook. It is a simple and easy recipe to throw together. I usually mix up the dry ingredients the night before, then DH adds the wet ingredients when he is ready to make them the next morning. I make them sweeter than the recipe calls for but the recipe can easily be adjusted to your family's taste.  The recipe gives instructions of how to make the pancakes using the mixer. I just use a whisk to mix the ingredients together.

Pancakes
  • 1 1/2 cup of flour (I use 3/4 cup of all purpose and 3/4 cup of whole wheat.)
  • 2 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of sugar (I add about 3 Tbsp.)
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4cups of milk
  • 3 Tbsp of shortening, melted (I use butter. I think it gives the pancakes a richer taste.)
 
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. 
 
Add the 2 eggs, the milk, and the melted butter, then use a whisk to combine the ingredients together. 
 
Heat a heavy griddle or cast iron pan. Use a non-stick cooking spray to spray the griddle or pan with or melt butter in the pan. 
 
Pour about 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake onto the griddle or pan. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles form on the surface and the edges become dry. Turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or until golden brown on the underside. 

When the pancakes are cooked, place the on a platter and keep them warm in an oven on low heat about 200 degrees. 

Serve them with butter and your choice of syrup. Enjoy! 

Living a simple life and loving every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment