Thursday, October 27, 2016

Homemade Halloween: Minnie Mouse Costume

When she was around 3 years old, DD had a Minnie Mouse Doll she loved. Minnie slept with her most nights and spent many hours with DD playing. Minnie served as an inspiration for DD's costume that year. 

Minnie wore a dropped waist hot pink dress with white polka dots on it. She had a pearl necklace and a big hair bow in her hair, between her ears. She wore white socks and black shoes. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to come up with something close to her appearance with the clothes DD had in her closet. 

I found a hot pink short sleeved dropped waist dress. We put a black long sleeve turtle neck underneath it. I found some white ribbon which I made into a bow and attached it to the neck of the dress in the middle. I had a long yellow plastic pearl necklace leftover from my teenage years in the 80's for DD to wear. The socks and shoes were easy to do, because DD had a lot of frilly white shoes and a pair of black shoes. 

Figuring out the ears required a little more work. I used a black headband I had as the base. I made some ears out of cardboard and used permanent markers to color them. I stapled the ears on to the head band. When we put the ears on DD, we fastened a big white hair bow in the middle. When our Minnie Mouse was ready to go trick-or-treating, she carried her Minnie Mouse Doll with her. We used a ghost pail she got a Happy Meal in to collect the candy. 

DD really liked this outfit. We also received a lot of compliments on it. Once again, it was easy to come up with and didn't cost us any money. 

Homemade Halloween is simply a good thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment