Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A Week Of Misc. Recipes: BBQ Sauce

DH and DD like to eat BarBQ pork sandwiches made out of a Boston Butt Pork Roast and BarBQ sauce. We also like chicken baked in BarBQ sauce. So when I started looking for alternatives to store bough, I came across this recipe on a fellow homeschool mom's website The Family Homestead. It is a good substitute, but as with any recipe, I adjusted it to our taste

BarBQ Sauce
  • 6 oz. of tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup of ketchup 
  • 2 tsp of dry mustard (I use yellow mustard.)
  • 2 tsp of salt (I use garlic salt.)
  • 1/2 tsp of chili powder 
Mix ingredients together in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to blend the flavors. 
 
In addition to the ingredients, I add a tsp of black pepper and a tsp of onion powder. I also use garlic salt instead of plain salt because I like the flavor of garlic. I also use yellow mustard instead of dry mustard. I just squirt two good squirts of it in with the rest of the ingredients. I also use a heaping 1/2 tsp of chili powder.
 
This BarBQ sauce is also good to make cocktail wienes in the crock pot. I just add a few tbsp of maple syrup to the mixture and I have even used strawberry syrup. They are always at hit at our holiday gatherings. 
 
Homemade BarBQ sauce is simply a good thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment