Monday, April 17, 2017

A Week Of Misc. Recipes: Taco Seasoning

All this week I am going to share some of the miscellaneous recipes that add spice or seasoning to other dishes. Most of these are tried and true recipes that I have used for years. The very last one is one that I just came across recently. All of them have been a hit at our house. 

We eat a lot of Mexican inspired recipes, so we go through a lot of taco seasoning. As I began to try to cut out preservatives and chemicals out of the foods we ate, I started looking for an alternative to the store bought taco seasoning. I finally came across one that we like in a cookbook written by a homeschool mom know as Marmee Dear. The name of the book is "Martha's Family Cookery Book." It is easy to make and uses herbs and spices most people have in their cabinets. 

Taco Seasoning
  • 6 tsp. of chili powder
  • 2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I use garlic salt.)
  • 4 1/2 tsp. of cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper
  • 5 tsp. of paprika
  • 3 tsp. of onion powder
In a bowl combine all of these ingredients. Store in an airtight container. This is a stronger mix than store bought packs, so add in small amounts to your taste. One store bought pack usually contains about 4 tbsp. 

The recipe calls for garlic powder, but I use garlic salt because I felt it needed more flavor. I also use less cayenne pepper than it calls for, because I can't take a lot of heat. Just adjust the amount to fit your family's taste

Homemade taco seasoning is simply a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment