Monday, March 28, 2016

A Week Of Family Favorites: Crock Pot Cube Steak

Crock Pot Cube Steak is such a family favorite that there are hardly any leftovers left for someone to eat for lunch the next day. This is one of the few things I fix that DD goes back for seconds. Served with cream potatoes or poured over cream potatoes - which is the way I like it - it is a homey, satisfying meat dish perfect for a cold winter day or a family gathering anytime of the year. 

Crock Pot Cube Steak
  • 1 1/2 lb. to 2 lb.s of cube steak
  • 1 - 14 oz. can of beef broth (I use Swanson's.)
  • 2 cans of Cream Of Mushroom Soup (I use Campbell's.)
  • around 1 cup of flour
  • seasoning salt, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper - all to taste
To prepare the cube steak, I cut to bigger pieces in to 2 pieces. The smaller ones I leave alone. 
In a shallow dish, put a cup of flour. Add to the flour the spices your family likes. I add seasoning salt, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and just a touch of cayenne pepper. You can taste the flour mixture to see if you need to add more or just eyeball it like I do. 
I dredge the cube steak through the flour mixture coating well. I let it sit while I get olive oil warming up in a frying pan. When the oil is hot enough, I dredge the steak one more time in the flour mixture and put in the pan to fry. You can tell when the oil is hot enough, because it will start to shimmer. Or you can drop some droplets of water in it and it will sizzle. 


Don't crowd your pan with meat. When the meat is really good and brown, turn it over to brown on the other side. 
While the meat is browning, get the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot. Turn crock pot on to high. Add a can of beef broth and 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Use a whisk to combine the two. 
When the meat is good and brown on both sides, add the meat to the mixture in the crock pot. 
After all the meat is brown and in the crock pot, lower the heat in the pan. Add about a cup of water to the pan to deglaze the bottom of the pan and get up all the brown bits. Turn off heat and pour into the crock pot. Stir to combine everything and to make sure the meat is submerged in the gravy. 

Cook the meat into the crock pot for 3 to 4 hours. Turn down the crock pot to low for the last hour to 30 minutes. 
The meat will plumb up and be very tender. If you have meat lovers in your family, they will love this, but don't expect any leftovers. Serve with cream potatoes on the side or my way. I just get a bowl, put in a pile of cream potatoes, put some meat and its gravy over the top, then devour! 
Trust me it tastes WAY better than this picture looks. 
Simply enjoying fixing meals my family loves to eat and looking forward to doing it again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment