Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A Week Of Cookies: Snickerdoodles

Out of all the cookie recipes I am sharing this week, Snickerdoodles are the one cookie that isn't good dunked in milk or hot chocolate. They are best when they are dunked in coffee, which I don't like at all, but with Snickerdoodles, yummy! 

If I had to describe a Snickerdoodle, I would describe it as a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon. For these cookies to turn out well, it is important to chill the dough for at least 30 minutes, but one hour would be better. 

Snickerdoodles
  • 1 cup of soft shortening (I use Crisco.)
  • 1 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 3/4 cup of flour
  • 2 tsp of cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 2 tbsp of sugar 
  • 2 tsp of cinnamon 
 

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Mix the shortening, the sugar, and the eggs together until well blended. 




Sift together the flour, the cream of tartar, the baking soda, and the salt. Add to the sugar mixture and blend until a dough is formed. Chill the dough.




When the dough is chilled,  combine the 2 tbsp of sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon in a big Ziploc bag. (I really don't measure these out. I just eyeball the much I think I will need and alway add much cinnamon than it calls for.) Roll the dough into one inch balls. Place them in the bag and shake to coat the balls in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.




Place the cookie balls on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. With the tines of a fork, slightly flatten the cookie balls. Bake them until lightly brown around the edges. Usually takes about 10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then remove them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely, but all means, eat them when they are still warm, too.


 
Here are a few tips I have learned from baking these over the years. I turn them once during the baking process. I also look for them to puff up for a minute or two, right before I take them out of the oven. They are better when they are still a little puffy when you take them out. After baking a few batches you will get the hang of when they are ready to come out.



The finished prodcut!
Snickerdoodles are just simply one of those little yummy things in life! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment