Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Our Fur Babies: Miss Oakley

I come from a family of animal lovers. My daddy always had dogs growing up and he made sure my brother and I did, too. However, we never had a dog that stayed in the house. We had a few big dogs but most of them were small dogs, either mutts or feist.

When DH and I got married, we had dogs but we kept them outside. After several years, we finally decided to let one in the house. She was a sweet dog that we kept confined to the laundry room of our old mobile home. When she was around 7 years old, she got very sick and died the day after Christmas in 2001. Her death left a big hole in my heart and it wasn't long till DH gave the go ahead to get another one. 

After the turn of the new year, I began looking for another one. I visited local animal shelters and looked at ads in the newspaper. It took about a month until I found the kind of dog I wanted - a mountain feist. 

When we went to look at the liter of 4 pups; 2 males and 2 females. There was a pretty female pup. She was pure white except for a black patch around one of her eyes. She seemed a little shy. She along with her brothers went to hide behind her momma and whined the whole time. Her sister was pretty too but she was black and white. However, instead of running and hiding behind their momma; she sat down beside her momma, looked me square in the eye, and stuck her tongue out at me. It was then I knew she was the puppy for me. 

I named her Annie Oakley, but decided just to call her Oakley. She has been in our lives for 14 years now. She has brought a lot of joy and aggravation into our lives. She sleeps with me and loves to cuddle. She likes carrots, apples, and peppermint tea. She is very smart. I taught her early on to fetch, sit, give howdy, roll over, and play dead. She is very set in her ways and is definitely the spoiled one of our fur babies, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Her black hair is turning grey but she still is a pretty girl.

She loves to snuggle down in her blankets on cold and rainy days.

Her imperious look.

She loves to lay between her daddy and I when we watch a movie in our bedroom.

Did I mention she is a camera hog? She loves to have her picture made.

She is such a pretty girl. She is my Miss Annie Oakley.
I know the day is coming when she will leave us forever, but until then I am going to enjoy every minute spent just simply snuggling with her and spoiling her rotten! 

Living simply enjoying life with one of our fur babies and cherishing each moment spent with her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment